Thursday, August 25, 2011

Banana Oatmeal Wheat Muffins

I'm a sucker for muffins. I love having them for breakfast or a quick snack. Problem is so many times they aren't that healthy. I don't really want my kids getting hooked on sugary snacks (like I am), so I try to find some healthier way to enjoy the foods I love.

Here is what I came up with... It was roughly based on these.

1 cup quick oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax
1 1/2  teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup sliced almonds
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large brown bananas

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with muffin liners and spray. Mix dry ingredients (flour - almonds). In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients (eggs - bananas). Make a well in the dry and add the wet. Stir to combine but no more! I prefer to use a cookie scooper to fill the muffin pan, it took two overfull scoops in each muffin. Bake 20 minutes. It made about 16 muffins.

I think they are pretty tasty. Next time I think I will try and cut back the oil and maybe the sugar. Also I think you could change out the banana for some other fruit as long as it equals a little more than 1 cup. And mom I'm sure you could put chocolate chips in instead of raisins.

Hope you enjoy!