Friday, August 12, 2011

Crock-pot Lasagna

This recipe is based off this Kraft recipe. But I wanted to make it a little healthier.

1 lb. Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
24 oz. spaghetti sauce
1 cup water
15 oz low-fat ricotta cheese
7 oz 2% milk shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/4 cup low-fat grated parmesan cheese, divided
1 organic egg
3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
12 oz chopped frozen broccoli, thawed
6 lasagna noodles, uncooked

1.  Cook meat in large pot, drain and rinse. Stir in spaghetti sauce and water.
2.  In a separate large bowl mix ricotta, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, 2 Tbsp parmesan, egg, parsley, and broccoli.
3.  Spoon 1 cup meat sauce into slow cooker. Top with 3 noodles broken to fit and 1/2 of the cheese mixture. Spoon 2 cups meat sauce on top. Add another layer of noodles and the rest of the cheese mixture. Top with rest of meat sauce. Place lid on slow cooker.
4.  Cook on low 5 hours or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses and let stand covered 10 minutes or until melted.

Review: Pretty tasty, good way to hide some more veggies. I think I would like to get a little more flavor.

Changes: Maybe add a little oregano to the cheese mixture. I would like to find an organic lower sodium spaghetti sauce. I would like to have a healthier noodle, but haven't found them at the store.

Served With: Salad and garlic toast. Served to my in-laws. I think I would normally not have the garlic toast, there are enough carbs in the noodles.

1 comment:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I've never tried lasagna in the crockpot but I LOVE my crockpot! I totally should try this!